"New Job Proverbs"
Advice for your first few days on the job:
- Know what your company does. Be ready to give a 30-second overview to anyone that asks, from your friends to your grandma, to your next-door neighbor.
- Understand your role in contributing to the bottom line of the company. Keep your eyes (and your career) focused on the big picture rather than your own little cube.
- Get a copy of your company's most recent annual report and read it cover to cover.
- Dress conservatively. You should always speak louder than your clothes.
- Remember the names of those you are introduced to. In your first few days on the job, jot down names until you remember them. They only have to remember one new name, while you have many.
- Take time to understand your company's benefits plan. Don't wait until you need to use one of the benefits to understand it.
- Watch and emulate those who are successful in the company. Allow them to be your mentors from afar.
- Personalize your work area, but not too personal. Frame your degree and hang it on the wall. Put a small picture on your desk. Get a nameplate so everyone will know who you are.
- If your employer provides the option, have your paycheck set up for direct deposit. It will save you the time and hassle of depositing each paycheck and will give you quicker access to your money.
View Career Help Videos
Career Services email@example.com
Location: Bawcom Student Union, Second Floor (Student Life Suite)
Address: 900 College Street, UMHB Station Box 8415, Belton, TX 76513
Phone: (254) 295-4691
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm